Re: Converting contrib SQL functions to new style

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Mark Dilger <mark(dot)dilger(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>, Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Converting contrib SQL functions to new style
Date: 2021-04-14 17:36:22
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Mark Dilger <mark(dot)dilger(at)enterprisedb(dot)com> writes:
>> On Apr 13, 2021, at 3:26 PM, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
>> However I think we may still need an assumption that earthdistance
>> and cube are in the same schema --- any comments on that?

> This is probably not worth doing, and we are already past feature
> freeze, but adding syntax to look up the namespace of an extension might
> help.

Yeah, that idea was discussed before (perhaps only in private
security-team threads, though). We didn't do anything about it because
at the time there didn't seem to be pressing need, but in the context
of SQL function bodies there's an obvious use-case.

> We could get something like this working just inside the CREATE EXTENSION command if we expanded on the @extschema@ idea a bit. At first I thought this idea would suffer race conditions with concurrent modifications of pg_extension or pg_namespace, but it looks like we already have a snapshot when processing the script file, so:

> -CREATE DOMAIN earth AS cube
> +CREATE DOMAIN @@earthdistance@@::earth AS @@cube@@::cube

Right, extending the @extschema@ mechanism is what was discussed,
though I think I'd lean towards something like @extschema:cube@
to denote the schema of a referenced extension "cube".

I'm not sure this is useful enough to break feature freeze for,
but I'm +1 for investigating it for v15.