Re: Regression tests fail with musl libc because libpq.so can't be loaded

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Christophe Pettus <xof(at)thebuild(dot)com>, Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, Wolfgang Walther <walther(at)technowledgy(dot)de>, PostgreSQL Bugs <pgsql-bugs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Regression tests fail with musl libc because libpq.so can't be loaded
Date: 2024-03-18 14:23:32
Lists: pgsql-bugs pgsql-hackers

Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> (Hmm, I think it's not that unreasonable on their part to assume the
> initial environment is immutable if their implementation doesn't
> mutate it, and our doing so is undeniably UB; surprising, maybe, given
> that the technique works on that other popular brand of C library on
> that kind of kernel, not to mention dozens of old Unixen of yore...

Does their implementation also ignore the effects of putenv() or
setenv() on LD_LIBRARY_PATH? They have no moral high ground
whatsoever if that's the case. But if it doesn't, an alternative
route to a solution could be to scan the original environment, strdup
and putenv each entry to move it to freshly malloc'd space, and
then reclaim the old environment area.