Re: Intermittent ECPG test failures on Windows buildfarm machines

From: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(dot)dunstan(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: Michael Meskes <meskes(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Intermittent ECPG test failures on Windows buildfarm machines
Date: 2018-04-30 16:09:12
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 04/30/2018 12:22 AM, Tom Lane wrote:
> Observe the following buildfarm failures:
>
> https://buildfarm.postgresql.org/cgi-bin/show_log.pl?nm=whelk&dt=2018-03-29%2013%3A41%3A13
> https://buildfarm.postgresql.org/cgi-bin/show_log.pl?nm=woodlouse&dt=2018-04-18%2016%3A42%3A03
> https://buildfarm.postgresql.org/cgi-bin/show_log.pl?nm=dory&dt=2018-04-27%2016%3A15%3A25
> https://buildfarm.postgresql.org/cgi-bin/show_log.pl?nm=dory&dt=2018-04-30%2000%3A45%3A25
> https://buildfarm.postgresql.org/cgi-bin/show_log.pl?nm=dory&dt=2018-04-30%2002%3A00%3A25
>
> The common feature is that a single ECPG test case emitted an empty stdout
> file. There is no other indication of a problem: the corresponding stderr
> output files are correct (and no, the "correct" contents of those aren't
> empty), the test process exited with status zero, and there's no sign of
> an issue in the postmaster log. And it's a different test case each time.
>
> I trawled the buildfarm logs back to the beginning of 2017 and can't find
> any similar failures before these. So it seems like we broke something
> fairly recently, probably during March; but what? The woodlouse case is
> on 9.6 not HEAD, suggesting that whatever we did wrong got back-patched,
> and for sure I see no recent commits in relevant-seeming code in 9.6.
>
> Baffled ... any ideas?

I have long had problems along these lines on Cygwin, and occasionally
worse, where the ecpg tests would hang on Cygwin. I have never been able
to discover any rhyme or reason for it, so on lorikeet and the retiring
brolga the ecpg tests are just disabled. If Cygwin were a more important
platform I would have put more effort into diagnosing the problem.

But I don't recall having similar issues on other Windows configurations.

cheers

andrew

--
Andrew Dunstan https://www.2ndQuadrant.com