Re: pgaccess,... OK What are the steps ????

From: Constantin Teodorescu <teo(at)flex(dot)ro>
To: "Jackson, DeJuan" <djackson(at)cpsgroup(dot)com>
Cc: TUTU <jg791569(at)er(dot)uqam(dot)ca>, pgsql-questions(at)postgreSQL(dot)org, PostgreSQL Interfaces <pgsql-interfaces(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pgaccess,... OK What are the steps ????
Date: 1998-05-06 19:24:43
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

Sebastian wrote:

> It's always like that !#(at)$#%
> You download a program, try to install it and than, BANG !!!! SORRY
> but you'll need to do part of the programmer's job if you want to use
> me !!!#~#(at)~!@#

Dear Sebastian,

I'm sorry. You are right. But there are a lot of operating systems,
versions and the developer is using a single computer with a single
version of his PostgreSQL and Linux.

I'm using for example RedHat 4.2 on a i386 , PostgreSQL 6.3.2.

There are a lot of other user on Solaris, on Free-BSD, on HP-UX, Irix.
It's a good thing that PostgreSQL is ported on many operating systems
and this could cause trouble sometimes. But we have luck, the problems
could be solved with a few minor corections.

I am sorry that I have unsubscribed from psql-questions . I was waiting
for questions on PgAccess directly (teo(at)flex(dot)ro) or through the
psql-interfaces mail list. Now I have subscribed again on pgsql-question
list and I will listen on that too.

> > I hate to spend days searching for information and tricks and files
> > etc just because some guy forgot to putt something in his installation
> > files and because he forgot to tell everyone.

I am realy sorry. I had the same trouble as you many times but I learned
to contact the developer and I have always get quickly answers.

> > I'm using RedHat 5.0 and i installed the last version of postgresql
> > but with the RPM file type...

You have to tell me what version of rpm is (i.e. what version of
PostgreSQL is)

> > I've downloaded pgaccess from the web site, (*.tar.gz...) bla bla bla

Also, what version, 6.3.2 ? Please send me directly all these
information and I will try to help you as soon as I can. Maybe I could
send you some libraries precompiled for your system.

> > I've installed the two libpgtcl.so and libpq.so in my system /lib
> > directories.

so far ... so good

> > What will i need ??? Where to get it ??? Where is libcrypt.so and what
> > does 'link it' means in that context...

must be in /lib directory.

Adding a -lcrypt near -lpq in Makefile (didn't recall because I was
compiling PostgreSQL on RedHat 5.0 just once ... some time ago). Anyone
using RedHat 5.0 could help ?

Tomorow I will try to make some precompiled libraries (libpq and
libpgtcl) for both RedHat 4.2 and RedHat 5.0 and for the latest 6.3.2
library. They would be available for download directly from my site (
http://www.flex.ro/pgaccess )

Thank you for your feedback, we would try to improve services for
PgAccess. In order to do that, I would need your help.

The most important thing : Don't loose your patience ... and don't go
back to Windows :-)

--
Constantin Teodorescu
FLEX Consulting Braila, ROMANIA