Re: Windows: Wrong error message at connection termination

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Sergey Shinderuk <s(dot)shinderuk(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>
Cc: pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Alexander Lakhin <exclusion(at)gmail(dot)com>, Lars Kanis <lars(at)greiz-reinsdorf(dot)de>, Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Windows: Wrong error message at connection termination
Date: 2022-01-15 18:58:46
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Sergey Shinderuk <s(dot)shinderuk(at)postgrespro(dot)ru> writes:
> On 14.01.2022 13:01, Sergey Shinderuk wrote:
>> Unexpectedly, this changes the error message:
> For the record, after more poking I realized that it depends on timing.
> By injecting delays I can get any of the following from libpq:
> * could not receive data from server: Software caused connection abort
> * server closed the connection unexpectedly
> * no connection to the server

Thanks for the follow-up. At the moment I'm not planning to do anything
pending the results of the other thread [1]. It seems likely though that
we'll end up reverting this explicit-close behavior in the back branches,
as the other changes involved look too invasive for back-patching.

regards, tom lane

[1] https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/flat/CA%2BhUKG%2BOeoETZQ%3DQw5Ub5h3tmwQhBmDA%3DnuNO3KG%3DzWfUypFAw%40mail.gmail.com