Re: [PHP3] BIG, BIG problems with pg_pConnect in PHP3, PostgreSQL and Apache httpd

From: Constantin Teodorescu <teo(at)flex(dot)ro>
To: bourbon(at)bourbon(dot)netvision(dot)net(dot)il
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [PHP3] BIG, BIG problems with pg_pConnect in PHP3, PostgreSQL and Apache httpd
Date: 1998-04-25 05:58:44
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Zeev Suraski wrote:

> >> Database servers have large amount of data in their processes, so they
> >> still will have to allocate it separately, even though they handle the
> >> same database.
> >
> >Certainly. I was just pointing ou a potential memory use
> >miscalculation on the order of 1MB per process (the text size of
> >postgres), which is not exactly trivial.
>
> I might be missing something, but idle processes of an SQL server should
> take virtually no memory. The code image is shared, the read-only data is
> shared, and the only memory that's not shared is the memory taken for
> process specific stuff, mainly memory needed during the processing of a
> query. That memory will be freed as soon as the query is done, so it
> doesn't really matter.
> Again, I don't know if there might be some Postgres specific issues
> involved, but I've had a MySQL server with 150 threads taking all around
> 5MB (while processing some queries, too).

Is there a method of getting under Linux o.s. the *real* ammount of
memory that all postgres process use overall ?
I would inform you then how much memory will eat those processes and if
there is too big, I'll inform also PostgreSQL developers about it.

--
Constantin Teodorescu
FLEX Consulting Braila, ROMANIA