Re: [INTERFACES] Naming of the PostreSQL ODBC .dll file

From: Hannu Krosing <hannu(at)trust(dot)ee>
To: The Hermit Hacker <scrappy(at)hub(dot)org>
Cc: Byron Nikolaidis <byronn(at)insightdist(dot)com>, pgsql-interfaces(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [INTERFACES] Naming of the PostreSQL ODBC .dll file
Date: 1998-04-18 10:33:00
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

The Hermit Hacker wrote:

> On Fri, 17 Apr 1998, Byron Nikolaidis wrote:
>
> > Julia,
> >
> > That was one of the biggest changes with this driver. It no longer supports
> > 16 bit windows. All the messy Dummy Handle Lists that used to be mainted were
> > eliminated and now the handle is the pointer to the structure for all the
> > Statement functions. The old driver used GlobalAlloc and GlobalLock to handle
> > 16 bit because the pointer returned by malloc may be moved and is not
> > sufficient to be used for a handle. In 32 bit windows, you can safely use
> > malloc.
> >
> > Our web site explains this.
> >
> > I sure hope this driver doesn't have to support 16 bit!
>
> Hrmmm...just curious, but how many users were lost because of
> *this* decision?? Doesn't this sort of assume that *everyone* is running
> Win95 or greater?

None, if *this* decision has anything to do with the better quality of
the
current driver.

I guess that one working 32 bit driver gets us more users than largely
broken ones for both 32 and 16.

It may be a good idea to keep the old 16 bit driver around, but I can't
see anyone motivated enough to actually do it ;(

Hannu