Re: PATCH: logical_work_mem and logical streaming of large in-progress transactions

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Tomas Vondra <tomas(dot)vondra(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: PATCH: logical_work_mem and logical streaming of large in-progress transactions
Date: 2018-01-02 15:07:54
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 12/22/17 23:57, Tomas Vondra wrote:
> PART 1: adding logical_work_mem memory limit (0001)

The documentation in this patch contains some references to later
features (streaming). Perhaps that could be separated so that the
patches can be applied independently.

I don't see the need to tie this setting to maintenance_work_mem.
maintenance_work_mem is often set to very large values, which could then
have undesirable side effects on this use.

Moreover, the name logical_work_mem makes it sound like it's a logical
version of work_mem. Maybe we could think of another name.

I think we need a way to report on how much memory is actually used, so
the setting can be tuned. Something analogous to log_temp_files perhaps.