Re: Display Pg buffer cache (WIP)

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Neil Conway <neilc(at)samurai(dot)com>
Cc: Mark Kirkwood <markir(at)coretech(dot)co(dot)nz>, pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Display Pg buffer cache (WIP)
Date: 2005-03-08 06:54:56
Lists: pgsql-patches

> Mark Kirkwood wrote:
>> + TupleDescInitEntry(tupledesc, (AttrNumber) 5, "relblockbumber",
>> + NUMERICOID, -1, 0);

> I think this should be an int4, not numeric.

needs spell check too ;-)

More generally, BlockNumber is unsigned and so int4 is not at all an
accurate conversion. Perhaps OID would be a good choice even though
it's horribly wrong on one level.

> Otherwise, looks good to me. Barring any objections, I'll apply this
> with a few stylistic tweaks and the numeric -> int4 change tomorrow.

I would rather see this as a contrib module. There has been *zero*
consensus that we need this in core, nor any discussion about whether
it might be a security hole.