Re: [HACKERS] Some cleanups/enhancements

From: Jeroen van Vianen <jeroenv(at)design(dot)nl>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Some cleanups/enhancements
Date: 1998-03-17 18:42:11
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Bruce Momjian wrote:

> jeroenv(at)design(dot)nl, can you send in patches for these?
>

> > > I'm running PostgreSQL 6.3 on Linux 2.1.85 with gcc 2.8.0 and libc5. So
> > > far no problems, however I noted some cleanups / enhancements which I
> > > would like to do. Before I send you a bunch of patches I thought I'll
> > > tell you what I'm planning to do. Please comment on my list and indicate
> > > whether I should go ahead.
> > >
> > > - Fix all Makefiles so 'make dep' and 'make depend' work
> > > - Fix all Makefiles so 'make clean' throws away the depend file
> > > - Some other Makefile cleanups
> >
> > These all sound good. If there is a possibility of large breakage, wait
> > until after v6.3.
> >
> > > - gcc 2.8.0 issues some additional warnings which are very easy to fix:
> > > - register i --> register int i

There's a patch attached to fix gcc 2.8.x warnings, except for the
yyerror ones from bison. It also includes a few 'enhancements' to the C
programming style (which are, of course, personal).

The other patch removes the compilation of backend/lib/qsort.c, as
qsort() is a standard function in stdlib.h and can be used any where
else (and it is). It was only used in
backend/optimizer/geqo/geqo_pool.c, backend/optimizer/path/predmig.c,
and backend/storage/page/bufpage.c

> > Some or all of these changes might not be appropriate for v6.3, since we
> > are in beta testing and since they do not affect the current functionality.
> > For those cases, how about submitting patches based on the final v6.3
> > release?

There's more to come. Please review these patches. I ran the regression
tests and they only failed where this was expected (random, geo, etc).

Cheers,

Jeroen

Attachment Content-Type Size
compiler.warnings.patch text/plain 12.9 KB
qsort.patch text/plain 2.6 KB