Re: [QUESTIONS] Re: [HACKERS] text should be a blob field

From: "Thomas G(dot) Lockhart" <lockhart(at)alumni(dot)caltech(dot)edu>
To: PostgreSQL-development <hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: Maurice Gittens <mgittens(at)gits(dot)nl>
Subject: Re: [QUESTIONS] Re: [HACKERS] text should be a blob field
Date: 1998-03-15 15:19:48
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Since triggers are not inherited this doesn't seem appropiate to me
> -:(. Won't user have to do some magic on inherited tables?
>
> I think many things will be fixed when triggers, indices etc. are
> inherited properly by derived classes.

This is an interesting point. We have perhaps been neglecting to discuss
how inheritance should behave with new features. Certainly at least some
things (like default values and constraints) do inherit as you would
expect. It's not clear to me that inheriting indices is appropriate,
since indices are basically just an artifact for performance
improvement; the results of a query do not change with the presence of
an index. Also, if a table is inherited, then the access pattern of the
resulting table might be different, requiring a different index anyway.

I haven't worked with triggers; what is their current behavior with
inheritance? Maurice implies that they are not inherited at all. If not,
should they be?

- Tom