Re: libplperl.so and libperl.so

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: andrew(at)supernews(dot)com, pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: libplperl.so and libperl.so
Date: 2004-11-16 22:41:28
Lists: pgsql-bugs

> The ldopts value contains compiler-specific shared library linking flags
> plus information about additional library to link in. The ccdlflags
> value contains only the compiler-specific shared library linking flags.
> If we subtract the second from the first, we get the information about
> additional library to link in, which is what we wanted to get out of
> it.

[ thinks ... ] OK, so the problem case is where perl was built with a
different compiler than we're building PG with, and hence ccdlflags
may contain incompatible switches. That's a fair point, though it seems
like a shaky assumption that the rest of ldopts isn't also compiler-
specific.

> The poster apparently needs the rpath information, but I think he'll
> have to get that some other way.

Where would he get it from, then? We did talk about providing macros
for more flexible specification of rpath, so we can fix the problem if
we can get the Perl library path, but I'm unsure where to learn that.