Re: enable_joinremoval

From: Alex Hunsaker <badalex(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: enable_joinremoval
Date: 2010-03-29 19:54:57
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, Mar 29, 2010 at 13:41, Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> wrote:
>> Uhh... they wont be in the explain output...  Seems simple enough.
>
> That is exactly what I replied, though nobody felt that was a great
> answer.

Maybe I missed it, but why exactly do they care? About the only
reason I can think *i* would care is: If I was running the same SQL
on multiple database products (like mysql) and thought "Sweet now I
can use this new feature to cleanup my sql so it runs better on
product X or version of postgres Y". Is there some other reason other
than it would be _cool_ to know? Or is it FUD that it might be buggy
and so they wish to be able to turn it off?

It comes to mind you can probably do this with an plannerhook
(whatever happened to those hooks to auto create/recommend indexes?)