Re: plperl & sort

From: "Alex Hunsaker" <badalex(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: "Andrew Gierth" <andrew(at)tao11(dot)riddles(dot)org(dot)uk>, pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: plperl & sort
Date: 2008-11-05 18:37:34
Lists: pgsql-bugs

On Wed, Nov 5, 2008 at 11:14, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
> Andrew Gierth <andrew(at)tao11(dot)riddles(dot)org(dot)uk> writes:
>> Nice theory, but completely wrong: sort creates $a and $b in the
>> current package, not in main::.
>
> Hmm ... so then why are we seeing a failure?

Because Safe runs in a different namespace altogether (part of why its
Safe). We build the sub under Safe but then execute it in the real
namespace. The patch I posted fixes this but Id like someone with
more knowledge of safe to look over it. From a quick cvs log it
*looked* like that was Andrew Dunstan which is why I cc'ed him. This
is not a Safe bug IMHO its our (ab)use of it that is causing the
problem. Of course if its only sort that gets affected maybe the cure
is worse than the disease...