Re: make dist using git archive

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter(at)eisentraut(dot)org>
To: Tristan Partin <tristan(at)neon(dot)tech>
Cc: pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: make dist using git archive
Date: 2024-02-13 06:53:57
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 12.02.24 18:26, Tristan Partin wrote:
> On Sun Feb 11, 2024 at 5:09 PM CST, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
>> Small update: I noticed that on Windows (at least the one that is
>> running the CI job), I need to use git -c core.autocrlf=false,
>> otherwise git archive does line-ending conversion for the files it
>> puts into the archive.  With this fix, all the archives produced by
>> all the CI jobs across the different platforms match, except the
>> .tar.gz archive from the Linux job, which I suspect suffers from an
>> old git version.  We should get the Linux images updated to a newer
>> Debian version soon anyway, so I think that issue will go away.
>
> I think with this change, it is unlikely I will be able to upstream
> anything to Meson that would benefit Postgres here since setting this
> option seems project dependent.

Meson is vulnerable to the same problem: If the person who makes the
release had some crlf-related git setting activated in their
environment, then that would affect the tarball. And such a tarball
would be genuinely broken for non-Windows users, because at least some
parts of Unix systems can't process such CRLF files correctly.

(This is easy to test: Run meson dist with core.autocrlf=true on the
postgresql tree on a non-Windows system. It will fail during dist check.)