Re: [HACKERS] alpha/64bit weirdness

From: "Thomas G(dot) Lockhart" <lockhart(at)alumni(dot)caltech(dot)edu>
To: Brett McCormick <brett(at)work(dot)chicken(dot)org>
Cc: Bruce Momjian <maillist(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, pgsql-hackers(at)hub(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] alpha/64bit weirdness
Date: 1998-03-05 03:47:25
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Why would the atttypmod affect anything before it in the struct? I
> have verified that everything is shifted over for bytes, but that
> would lead be to beleive that somewhere the length of the first
> attribute (Oid) is being miscalculated? Where would the code write to
> this data structure without using a pointer to actual struct for
> obtaining the correct memory structure? I checked for offsetof macro
> calls that might cause this effect, to no avail.

Just speculating here, but I do know that the Alpha will force alignment
within structures. So, if the structure is filled by reading a byte stream
from a file, rather than filled field-by-field, it will misalign if it has
integers < 4 bytes. During the initialization phase, the backend probably does
not go through the file manager, but does some brute-force reading of each
file on disk.

- Tom