Re: Glibc2 (was Re: [HACKERS] PostgreSQL - the Linux of Databases...)

From: "Thomas G(dot) Lockhart" <lockhart(at)alumni(dot)caltech(dot)edu>
To: plh(at)opim(dot)uconn(dot)edu
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Glibc2 (was Re: [HACKERS] PostgreSQL - the Linux of Databases...)
Date: 1998-03-04 13:31:26
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Thomas> That's good news, but I'm annoyed I haven't been able to get this
> Thomas> result myself yet. Did you use the redhat beta rpm for postgres, or
> Thomas> did you do a clean install from sources?
>
> clean install from source, that's why I listed the compiler versions and
> flags. Isn't that what you've been trying to get it to work?

No. I've been developing on RH4.2 (making source builds on that), and trying to
use rpms for RH5.0 built at RedHat to verify the glibc2 performance. May have to
do a build from source to get to the bottom of things, but I'm hoping not...

> >> That was with gcc-2.7.2.3, (-O3 -m486), _however_, when compiled with
> >> gcc-2.8.0 (-O3 -mpentium), all that nasty time stuff just crept back again,
> >> don't know why.
> I thought about doing some more testing and possibly tracking it down, and see
> whether that was caused by some bugfixes somewhere, but without all the
> snapshots from perhaps Feb-20 all the way up to the official release, it's a
> bit hard.

Well, have you tried the CVSup static package on RH5.0 yet? Don't know if it
would work, but if it did it would allow you to get snapshots as you want; in
fact I'm doing that right now trying to track down a problem introduced sometime
after 980112 and before 980201. Downloading 980120 right now as I (sort of)
binary search through the possibilities.

- Tom