Re: [HACKERS] PostgreSQL - the Linux of Databases...

From: "Thomas G(dot) Lockhart" <lockhart(at)alumni(dot)caltech(dot)edu>
To: plh(at)opim(dot)uconn(dot)edu
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] PostgreSQL - the Linux of Databases...
Date: 1998-03-04 06:01:32
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Thomas> *sigh* Postgres runs just fine on a bug-free version of glibc2. We've
> Thomas> heard rumors that 2.0.7-pre1 from Debian is close enough, but I can't
> Thomas> duplicate that on my RH5.0 production box with Cristian's RH
> Thomas> glibc2-2.0.7 package.
>
> Thought you might like to know, Tom, with Cristian's glibc2-2.0.7 rpm I
> downloaded yesterday, I was able to get:

> mydb=> select '1 min'::timespan;
> ?column?
> --------
> @ 1 min
> (1 row)
>
> And all time-related regression tests succeeded.

That's good news, but I'm annoyed I haven't been able to get this result myself
yet. Did you use the redhat beta rpm for postgres, or did you do a clean install
from sources?

> That was with gcc-2.7.2.3, (-O3 -m486), _however_, when compiled with
> gcc-2.8.0 (-O3 -mpentium), all that nasty time stuff just crept back again,
> don't know why.
>
> BTW, something I'm a bit concerned about -- re: the ``~30 sec deficit'' in
> regression test timing results you mentioned a couple of days ago -- I'm also
> seeing it here between the official 6.3 and a Feb-15 snapshot (no, LOCALE's
> always undef) on both Linux and FreeBSD, and can consistently reproduce it,
> with the same test suite (the one from the official 6.3).

I ended up convincing myself that most of the time difference was the overhead
in compiling with USE_LOCALE turned on. The RH rpm is compiled with it on, and
most of my testing is done with it turned off, but I had turned it on to track
down problems with the money type. Anyway, my times are now within ~10sec of the
shortest time I had ever seen (of course, it's easy to shave time off when you
skip essential code; I'll take the 10sec hit :)

> And thanks for the docs!

Sure. Consider finding something which interests you to write about for the next
release :))

- Tom