Re: [HACKERS] doc troubles.

From: "Thomas G(dot) Lockhart" <lockhart(at)alumni(dot)caltech(dot)edu>
To: Darren King <darrenk(at)insightdist(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] doc troubles.
Date: 1998-03-03 15:53:29
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> > > This sucks. As a group that seems to not like GNU (or at least their
> > > license), we require enough of their tools to compile/install postgres.
> > Quit whining and send in some patches :) I hacked those makefiles at the end
> > of a 10 hour push to get the docs wrapped up. The best thing that could be
> > said for them is that they seemed to work on my machine (and I guess on
> > postgresql.org now that I think about it).
> I didn't send patches since I wasn't sure if you were still working on it.

Not until I get some ideas on what would work better on more platforms...

> Something like "gzip -dc file.tar.gz | tar -xvf -" uncompress' it in place.
> I'll play around with -C to move it around.

Well, can't "uncompress" work with gzip'd files? I recall that it can, but that
may have been on a box (Dec Alpha?) with some upgraded "uncompress" capabilities.
If it can work, then we should do something like

uncompress -c file.tar.gz | tar xf -

to get away from any non-generic utilities. Is zcat (== uncompress -c) standard
on all machines?

btw, for generating the docs tar files I used "--exclude='*.sgml'" options on
tar. Is that gnu-specific also?

- Tom