Re: [DOCS] Re: [HACKERS] Re: [QUESTIONS] varchar vs text

From: "Thomas G(dot) Lockhart" <lockhart(at)alumni(dot)caltech(dot)edu>
To: Bruce Momjian <maillist(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: docs(at)postgresql(dot)org, hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [DOCS] Re: [HACKERS] Re: [QUESTIONS] varchar vs text
Date: 1998-03-01 23:50:19
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> > > I can easily send you html of what I am doing. The FAQ is already html,
> > > and the TODO list is ascii, but converted using txt2html from
> > > http://www.cs.wustl.edu/~seth/txt2html/. Works really well. It
> > > recoginizes certain text formatting styles, and outputs HTML to make it
> > > look correct on a web page. Perhaps we could use that to convert over
> > > some of the ASCII-only stuff we have.
> >
> > Yes, that would help, and then I can run a brute-force filter to convert the html to
> > almost-DocBook sgml. From there on we can turn it around and generate html from the
> > DocBook sources, for posting on the web page etc.
>
> OK. I recommend you just grab the TODO and FAQ from the web site,
> unless you want HTML versions of them in the distribution along with the
> ASCII verions.

Assuming we aren't doing this until post-v6.3 release, will let you know when we are
ready to start the conversion. Need to draw a line at how much can go into v6.3, and I
think we are past it wrt the docs except for perhaps goof-up fixes of the packages.

My first project after v6.3 will be getting jade/DocBook going on postgresql.org (perhaps
it already is; Marc pointed me at something which looked like a jade package). Then, we
can demonstrate how to run it on that machine, and perhaps tie it in to an automatic html
documentation update from cron or from cvs. Also, I'm hoping to be busy answering
questions and helping all those new documenters out there :)

- Tom