Re: [HACKERS] A small type extension example for the contrib directory (fwd)

From: "Thomas G(dot) Lockhart" <lockhart(at)alumni(dot)caltech(dot)edu>
To: The Hermit Hacker <scrappy(at)hub(dot)org>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] A small type extension example for the contrib directory (fwd)
Date: 1998-01-27 15:22:27
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> I added this to the contrib directory for the server, but am
> wondering if anyone feels that this just might be useful as a "normal"
> datatype, instead of just in the contrib directory...

I second Bruce's point that contrib is a useful place and should be
re-emphasized. In particular, it is a great place for new data types and
functions to be implemented, even if they might end up in the backend in a future
release. For example, contrib has code to implement 64-bit integers, and perhaps
someday we will move them to the backend. In the meantime, you can install
anything from contrib into template1 and your whole installation can then use it.

- Tom

In hindsight, this thread is a _good_ case for contrib, since some of the
features of the candidate data type (e.g. "like" pattern matching) may not have
behaved properly and needed more work.