Re: pgstat documentation tables (pdf OK on centos)

From: "Erik Rijkers" <er(at)xs4all(dot)nl>
To: "Magnus Hagander" <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
Cc: "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, "Robert Haas" <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, "Greg Smith" <greg(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pgstat documentation tables (pdf OK on centos)
Date: 2012-02-27 19:05:29
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, February 27, 2012 18:30, Magnus Hagander wrote:

> [...]

FWIW: I build A4 pdf's for HEAD often (say, weekly), on centos 5; it has always worked this last
year or so (I did tweak tex (?) parameters, long ago).

I built the A4 pdf just now again without problem.

Centos 5.7, openjade 1.3.2-27.

Here are some observations on these pg-stat tables:

Table 27-1. Standard Statistics views: looks OK in the pdf (HEAD).

Table 27-2 has some of the longer GUC/function names sticking out of the table frame. not pretty
but it still works, they are still readable as a whole.

Table 27-3 (pg_stat_bgwriter_view) it does not look good: some GUC/function names not only stick
outsize the table frame but are truncated (and thus become unreadable).

I think it would be better if somehow the widths of the 3 table-columns ('Column', 'Type',
'Description') would not be 3 columns of the same width, like they seem to be now: the 'Type'
column take fully one third of page-width, for short words like 'text' and 'bigint'. The
'Column' values too are almost always more narrow than 1/3 of the page.

Erik Rijkers