Re: dynamic result sets support in extended query protocol

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: dynamic result sets support in extended query protocol
Date: 2022-10-14 07:11:59
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 01.02.22 15:40, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> On 12.01.22 11:20, Julien Rouhaud wrote:
>> Since you mentioned that this patch depends on the SHOW_ALL_RESULTS
>> psql patch
>> which is still being worked on, I'm not expecting much activity here
>> until the
>> prerequirements are done.  It also seems better to mark this patch as
>> Waiting
>> on Author as further reviews are probably not really needed for now.
>
> Well, a review on the general architecture and approach would have been
> useful.  But I understand that without the psql work, it's difficult for
> a reviewer to even get started on this patch.  It's also similarly
> difficult for me to keep updating it.  So I'll set it to Returned with
> feedback for now and take it off the table.  I want to get back to it
> when the prerequisites are more settled.

Now that the psql support for multiple result sets exists, I want to
revive this patch. It's the same as the last posted version, except now
it doesn't require any psql changes or any weird test modifications anymore.

(Old news: This patch allows declaring a cursor WITH RETURN in a
procedure to make the cursor's data be returned as a result of the CALL
invocation. The procedure needs to be declared with the DYNAMIC RESULT
SETS attribute.)

Attachment Content-Type Size
v5-0001-Dynamic-result-sets-from-procedures.patch text/plain 52.6 KB