Re: pg_dump new feature: exporting functions only. Bad or good idea ?

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "David G(dot) Johnston" <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Laetitia Avrot <laetitia(dot)avrot(at)gmail(dot)com>, Chapman Flack <chap(at)anastigmatix(dot)net>, Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, Vik Fearing <vik(at)postgresfriends(dot)org>, Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pg_dump new feature: exporting functions only. Bad or good idea ?
Date: 2022-03-25 18:37:11
Lists: pgsql-hackers

"David G. Johnston" <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> On Fri, Mar 25, 2022 at 10:57 AM Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
>> pg_dump never dumps system objects, so I don't see a need for
>> a switch to tell it not to.

> I considered pg_class to be a system object, which was dumped under -t '*'

Oh! You're right, the --table switches will include system objects.
That seems like a bug TBH. Even if it's intentional, it's surely
not behavior we want for functions. You can somewhat easily
exclude system catalogs from matching --table since they all have
names starting with "pg_", but it'd be way more painful for functions
because (a) there are thousands and (b) they're not very predictably
named.

I'd vote for changing the behavior of --table rather than trying to
be bug-compatible with this decision.