Re: unnesting multirange data types

From: "Jonathan S(dot) Katz" <jkatz(at)postgresql(dot)org>
To: Alexander Korotkov <aekorotkov(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Justin Pryzby <pryzby(at)telsasoft(dot)com>, Zhihong Yu <zyu(at)yugabyte(dot)com>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: unnesting multirange data types
Date: 2021-06-14 12:50:01
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 6/13/21 5:18 PM, Alexander Korotkov wrote:

>> "Expands an array into a set of rows. The array's elements are read out
>> in storage order."
>>
>> If we tweaked the multirange "unnest" function, we could change it to:
>>
>> + <para>
>> + Expands a multirange into a set of rows.
>> + The ranges are read out in storage order (ascending).
>> + </para>
>>
>> to match what the array "unnest" function docs, or
>>
>> + <para>
>> + Expands a multirange into a set of rows that each
>> + contain an individual range.
>> + The ranges are read out in storage order (ascending).
>> + </para>
>>
>> to be a bit more specific. However, I think this is also bordering on
>> overengineering the text, given there has been a lack of feedback on the
>> "unnest" array function description being confusing.
>
> I think it's not necessarily to say about rows here. Our
> documentation already has already a number of examples, where we
> describe set of returned values without speaking about rows including:
> json_array_elements, json_array_elements_text, json_object_keys,
> pg_listening_channels, pg_tablespace_databases...

I do agree -- my main point was that I don't think we need to change
anything. I proposed alternatives just to show some other ways of
looking at it. But as I mentioned, at this point I think it's
overengineering the text.

If folks are good with the method + code, I think this is ready.

Thanks,

Jonathan