Re: Generating code for query jumbling through gen_node_support.pl

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>, Postgres hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: "Drouvot, Bertrand" <bdrouvot(at)amazon(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Generating code for query jumbling through gen_node_support.pl
Date: 2023-01-07 06:37:49
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 07.12.22 08:56, Michael Paquier wrote:
> The location of the Nodes is quite invasive because we only care about
> that for T_Const now in the query jumbling, and this could be
> compensated with a third pg_node_attr() that tracks for the "int
> location" of a Node whether it should participate in the jumbling or
> not.

The generation script already has a way to identify location fields, by
($t eq 'int' && $f =~ 'location$'), so you could use that as well.

> There is also an argument where we would want to not include by
> default new fields added to a Node, but that would require added more
> pg_node_attr() than what's done here.

I'm concerned about the large number of additional field annotations
this adds. We have been careful so far to document the use of each
attribute, e.g., *why* does a field not need to be copied etc. This
patch adds dozens and dozens of annotations without any explanation at
all. Now, the code this replaces also has no documentation, but maybe
this is the time to add some.