Re: [BUGS] casting strings to multidimensional arrays yields strange results

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Joe Conway <mail(at)joeconway(dot)com>
Cc: Kris Jurka <books(at)ejurka(dot)com>, "Patches (PostgreSQL)" <pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [BUGS] casting strings to multidimensional arrays yields strange results
Date: 2004-08-04 17:44:14
Lists: pgsql-bugs pgsql-hackers pgsql-patches

> Negative lower bound indicies now work also, and array_out will always
> output explicit dimensions for an array with any dimension having a
> lower bound of other than one.

Seems reasonable to me.

> Any thoughts on whether or not to apply this to 7.4?

I would say not; it's a sufficiently large change that it will doubtless
break a few people's applications. It's better to do such things at
major version revs. People don't expect to have to do application
compatibility testing on bug-fix updates. Also, the base bug (lack of
dimension info from array_out) has existed long enough that I don't
think there is great urgency about getting the fix into the field...