Re: BUG #17076: Server crashes on composing an error message about invalid modulus for a new table partition

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: exclusion(at)gmail(dot)com
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org, Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Subject: Re: BUG #17076: Server crashes on composing an error message about invalid modulus for a new table partition
Date: 2021-06-28 21:08:09
Lists: pgsql-bugs

PG Bug reporting form <noreply(at)postgresql(dot)org> writes:
> When executing the following query (based on create_table.sql):
> CREATE TABLE hash_parted (a int) PARTITION BY HASH (a);
> CREATE TABLE hpart_1 PARTITION OF hash_parted FOR VALUES WITH (MODULUS 10,
> REMAINDER 0);
> CREATE TABLE hpart_3 PARTITION OF hash_parted FOR VALUES WITH (MODULUS 200,
> REMAINDER 2);
> CREATE TABLE fail_part PARTITION OF hash_parted FOR VALUES WITH (MODULUS
> 150, REMAINDER 3);

> Server crashes with the following stack:

So this is evidently the fault of efbfb6424, which isn't accounting
for the possibility that the next remainder has no associated partition.
That results in boundinfo->indexes[offset + 1] being -1, whereupon we
pass garbage to get_rel_name() and get back a NULL.

I think the patch has got more problems than that too, as it's far
from clear why the next remainder would have anything to do with the
next larger modulus. IOW I suspect that when it does manage to print
a partition name without crashing, it's very likely to print the
wrong partition.

I'm inclined to think we should just revert efbfb6424, and maybe
try again some other time.