Re[2]: [GENERAL] DELETE statement KILL backend <AGAIN>

From: Sferacarta Software <sferac(at)bo(dot)nettuno(dot)it>
To: "David Ben-Yaacov" <David_BenYaacov(at)itd(dot)sterling(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, pgsql-general(at)PostgresSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re[2]: [GENERAL] DELETE statement KILL backend <AGAIN>
Date: 1998-08-24 07:54:23
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-hackers

Hello David,

Thanks to reply to my answer.

DBY> I've had this problem a number of times. Before I tell you what I did to
DBY> solve this problem, let me warn you that I am a novice at DBs (PostgreSQL is
DBY> my first database).

DBY> In my experience, the problem seems to be caused by a lot of data being put
DBY> into the database.
Unfortunately this isn't my case.
DBY> We are using the database to ingest real-time data 24
DBY> hours a day/7 days a week. The data comes in about every three minutes.
DBY> While I was not able to identify what the exact cause has been, I have
DBY> noticed that before the problem becomes critical (before the backend
DBY> terminates abnormally), the (number of) indexes do not correspond to the
DBY> actual table. That leads me to believe that the indexes do not get created
DBY> on all occasions. After some time, the table's internal indexes may be come
DBY> corrupted, and vacuuming does no good.
I have this problem on every table, those with index and those
without.

Right now, if I create a table without indexes and then I "DELETE FROM
table" the backend dies immediately.

DBY> When trying to fix this, I first delete the index, then recreate it., then
DBY> vacuum. If that doesn't work, then I drop the table, create the index,
DBY> reload the data, and then vacuum the table.

DBY> I would be curious to see if anyone else has had this type of problem and
DBY> what their solutions were.
Me too.

DBY> I can provide the scripts to check the database to the newsgroup or to you
DBY> directly, if desired.
I'm not sure if this can solve my problem, anyway send me it.
Thanks for all,
Jose'

Best regards,
Sferacarta mailto:sferac(at)bo(dot)nettuno(dot)it