Re: Which CMS/Ecommerce/Shopping cart ?

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Samantha Atkins <sjatkins(at)mac(dot)com>
Cc: Ivan Sergio Borgonovo <mail(at)webthatworks(dot)it>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Which CMS/Ecommerce/Shopping cart ?
Date: 2010-07-29 18:57:04
Lists: pgsql-general

Samantha Atkins <sjatkins(at)mac(dot)com> writes:
> Why is MySQL so much more popular right now, especially in the
> OpenSource community?

I think it's strictly historical. The mysql bias you see in so
many web tools was established in the late 90s, a time when mysql
worked reasonably well (at least according to the mysql developers'
notion of "reasonably well") whereas postgres was still pretty slow
and buggy. It took us a long time to get from the original
academically-oriented code to something of real production quality.
We're definitely competitive now, but I don't know if we'll ever fully
overcome that historical disadvantage.