Re: NAMEDATALEN configuration option patch

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: Bill McGonigle <mcgonigle(at)medicalmedia(dot)com>, pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: NAMEDATALEN configuration option patch
Date: 2001-05-16 23:23:26
Lists: pgsql-patches

> Bill McGonigle writes:
>> The only possible problem I forsee is if an external program includes
>> "postgres_ext.h" and there is a name collision with something in
>> config.h.

> That is precisely the reason why this cannot be done that way.

I'm fairly uncomfortable with the thought of making NAMEDATALEN so
easily twiddle-able. The problem is precisely that the value does
propagate into client programs, and thus that there are going to be
interoperability risks between clients with one setting and servers
with another. I don't like the idea of people choosing random values
at configure time without thinking hard about what they're doing.

I would be in favor of raising the standard value to 64 (from the
current 32) in the next major release, 7.2. That should be enough
to damp down the complaints ... IMHO anyway ...