Re: How to get higher tps

From: "Alex Turner" <armtuk(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Mark Lewis" <mark(dot)lewis(at)mir3(dot)com>
Cc: "Marty Jia" <mjia(at)ask(dot)com>, "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org, DBAs <DBAs(at)ask(dot)com>, "Rich Wilson" <richwilson(at)ask(dot)com>, "Ernest Wurzbach" <EWurzbach(at)ask(dot)com>
Subject: Re: How to get higher tps
Date: 2006-08-22 15:26:57
Lists: pgsql-performance

First things first, run a bonnie++ benchmark, and post the numbers. That
will give a good indication of raw IO performance, and is often the first
inidication of problems separate from the DB. We have seen pretty bad
performance from SANs in the past. How many FC lines do you have running to
your server, remember each line is limited to about 200MB/sec, to get good
throughput, you will need multiple connections.

When you run pgbench, run a iostat also and see what the numbers say.

Alex.