Re: RAID Stripe size

From: Alex Turner <armtuk(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Welty, Richard" <richard(dot)welty(at)bankofamerica(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: RAID Stripe size
Date: 2005-09-20 15:33:29
Lists: pgsql-performance

I have found JFS to be just fine. We have been running a medium load on this
server for 9 months with no unscheduled down time. Datbase is about 30gig on
disk, and we get about 3-4 requests per second that generate results sets in
the thousands from about 8am to about 11pm.

I have foudn that JFS barfs if you put a million files in a directory and
try to do an 'ls', but then so did reiser, only Ext3 handled this test
succesfully. Fortunately with a database, this is an atypical situation, so
JFS has been fine for DB for us so far.

We have had severe problems with Ext3 when file systems hit 100% usage, they
get all kinds of unhappy, we haven't had the same problem with JFS.

Alex Turner
NetEconomist