Re: pg_amcheck contrib application

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Mark Dilger <mark(dot)dilger(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Noah Misch <noah(at)leadboat(dot)com>, Peter Geoghegan <pg(at)bowt(dot)ie>, Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)gmail(dot)com>, "Andrey M(dot) Borodin" <x4mmm(at)yandex-team(dot)ru>, Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>, Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>, Amul Sul <sulamul(at)gmail(dot)com>, Dilip Kumar <dilipbalaut(at)gmail(dot)com>, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pg_amcheck contrib application
Date: 2021-03-16 18:01:47
Lists: pgsql-hackers

... btw, I now see that tern and hornet are passing this test
at least as much as they're failing, proving that there's some
timing or random chance involved. That doesn't completely
eliminate the idea that there may be an architecture component
to the issue, but it sure reduces its credibility. I now
believe the theory that the triggering condition is an auto-analyze
happening at the right time, and populating pg_statistic with
some data that other runs don't see.