Re: Walker/mutator prototype.

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Kurt Roeckx <Q(at)ping(dot)be>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Walker/mutator prototype.
Date: 2003-12-14 23:14:09
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Kurt Roeckx <Q(at)ping(dot)be> writes:
> I'm trying to change all the walkers and mutators to have a more
> strict prototype. I had to do this with lots of casts.

Forget it ;-). There's a reason why they use a loose prototype,
and it's exactly what you just found: the notational penalty of
being strict vastly outweighs any possible benefit.

Arguably, given the need to cast everything to Node * or void *,
the tighter prototypes are contributing zero additional error
checking anyway.