8.3 RC1 - Logging and filenames

From: "Andy Shellam" <andy(dot)shellam-lists(at)mailnetwork(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: 8.3 RC1 - Logging and filenames
Date: 2008-01-10 22:45:36
Lists: pgsql-admin

Hi,

I'm just trying out the RC1 release of 8.3, and I'm seeing something strange
with the logging configuration.
What I want PostgreSQL to do is put a log file "postgresql.log" in
"/var/log/pgsql" - I have an application that handles log rotations, so
would prefer to do it with that, rather than have PostgreSQL do the
rotation.

I would have thought my config shown below would have made this happen, but
it doesn't appear so. Instead PostgreSQL creates a file called "
postgresql.log.1200003749" in /var/log/pgsql.

Best of it is, I cannot work out what those numbers mean. The time at which
PostgreSQL was started was 22:37 on 10th Jan 2008. So I can figure out that
"3749" is probably the minutes and seconds. The process IDs are in the
32,200s so it's not the PID either.

Is this a bug, or am I just missing something?

My postgresql.conf reads:

# - Where to Log -

log_destination = 'stderr' # Valid values are combinations of
# stderr, csvlog, syslog and
eventlog,
# depending on platform. csvlog
# requires logging_collector to be
on.

# This is used when logging to stderr:
logging_collector = on # Enable capturing of stderr and csvlog
# into log files. Required to be on
for
# csvlogs.
# (change requires restart)

# These are only used if logging_collector is on:
log_directory = '/var/log/pgsql' # directory where log files
are written,
# can be absolute or relative to
PGDATA
log_filename = 'postgresql.log' # log file name pattern,
# can include strftime() escapes
#log_truncate_on_rotation = off # If on, an existing log file of the
# same name as the new log file will
be
# truncated rather than appended to.
# But such truncation only occurs on
# time-driven rotation, not on
restarts
# or size-driven rotation. Default
is
# off, meaning append to existing
files
# in all cases.
log_rotation_age = 0 # Automatic rotation of logfiles
will
# happen after that time. 0 to
disable.
log_rotation_size = 0 # Automatic rotation of logfiles will

Regards,

Andy