Re: psql \copy from sends a lot of packets

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnaka(at)iki(dot)fi>
Cc: pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: psql \copy from sends a lot of packets
Date: 2021-02-06 22:23:33
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnaka(at)iki(dot)fi> writes:
> I just noticed that if you load a file using psql:
> it sends every line as a separate FE/BE protocol CopyData packet.
> I'll add this to the next commitfest. There's similar inefficiency in
> the server side in COPY TO, but I'll leave that for another patch.

The FE/BE protocol documentation is pretty explicit about this:

Copy-in mode (data transfer to the server) is initiated when the
backend executes a COPY FROM STDIN SQL statement. The backend sends a
CopyInResponse message to the frontend. The frontend should then send
zero or more CopyData messages, forming a stream of input data. (The
message boundaries are not required to have anything to do with row
boundaries, although that is often a reasonable choice.)
Copy-out mode (data transfer from the server) is initiated when the
backend executes a COPY TO STDOUT SQL statement. The backend sends a
CopyOutResponse message to the frontend, followed by zero or more
CopyData messages (always one per row), followed by CopyDone.

So while changing psql isn't so much a problem, changing the server
is a wire protocol break. Maybe we should do it anyway, but I'm
not sure.