Re: BUG #6020: Wrong data type returned after CAST in FROM

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Skylar Hawk <skylar(dot)j(dot)hawk(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #6020: Wrong data type returned after CAST in FROM
Date: 2011-05-11 18:27:41
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Skylar Hawk <skylar(dot)j(dot)hawk(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> My apologies too. Now that I look at it I wasn't accurately describing
> how I was doing things after all. In the script I do pass on the data
> I get back from that query into another function, but after looking
> again, it looks like I have the script pull the data from this query
> and then push it into another query instead of having the database do
> it. Sorry for the excess frustration it probably caused.

Well, the main point here seems to be that you've got a function
returning record, not just a scalar value which is what your initial
example suggested. I've been able to duplicate the error and confirm
that the behavior changed in 9.0, but have not yet tracked down why.
More news as it develops ...