Re: I see this as the end of BDB in MySQL without a doubt.

From: Rick Gigger <rick(at)alpinenetworking(dot)com>
To: Chad <chadzakary(at)hotmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: I see this as the end of BDB in MySQL without a doubt.
Date: 2006-02-15 22:56:36
Lists: pgsql-general

Why doesn't mysql just forget the whole dual licensing of the server
thing and just tell everyone to use the GPL versions of everything.
Then dual license the client libraries which I would think they
already own outright. I think this is what forces most people to
need a commercial license. Do most of their customers really need to
modify the server?

The other thing that most of their customers probably need is just a
support contract in case something goes wrong and to keep the bosses
happy. And that is not really something that oracle can interfere
with (unless they try to buy off all of their employees individually).

Of course they should all just switch to postgres anyway but that is
another story. :)

Rick