Re: serverlog function (log_destination file)

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Dave Page" <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>
Cc: "Andreas Pflug" <pgadmin(at)pse-consulting(dot)de>, "PostgreSQL Development" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: serverlog function (log_destination file)
Date: 2004-06-07 14:55:23
Lists: pgsql-hackers

"Dave Page" <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk> writes:
> Thanks Tom. I wonder if we (the pgAdmin team) finally need to bite the
> proverbial bullet and write a helper daemon that can allow access to
> logs as well as config files and pg_ctl etc. as an optional extra
> component.

Red Hat's RHDB group already did a fair amount of work on such a tool:
see Control Center available from http://sources.redhat.com/rhdb/

IIRC it's all in Java and thus at least theoretically portable to
Windows.

At the moment Red Hat is devoting no resources to it (and so I think
it's stuck in the 7.3 time frame) but I'd be very happy to see someone
else pick it up and work on it.