Re: Collation version tracking for macOS

From: Jeremy Schneider <schneider(at)ardentperf(dot)com>
To: Jeff Davis <pgsql(at)j-davis(dot)com>, Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Peter Geoghegan <pg(at)bowt(dot)ie>, "Nasby, Jim" <nasbyj(at)amazon(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Collation version tracking for macOS
Date: 2022-11-29 18:03:03
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 11/28/22 6:54 PM, Jeff Davis wrote:

> =# select * from pg_icu_collation_versions('en_US') order by
> icu_version;
> icu_version | uca_version | collator_version
> -------------+-------------+------------------
> 67.1 | 13.0 | 153.14
> 68.2 | 13.0 | 153.14
> 69.1 | 13.0 | 153.14
> 70.1 | 14.0 | 153.112
> (21 rows)
>
> This is good information, because it tells us that major library
> versions change more often than collation versions, empirically-
> speaking.

It seems to me that the collator_version field is not a good version
identifier to use.

Just taking a quick glance at the ICU home page right now, it shows that
all of the last 5 versions of ICU have included "additions and
corrections" to locale data itself, including 68 to 69 where the
collator version did not change.

Is it possible that this "collator_version" only reflects the code that
processes collation data to do comparisons/sorts, but it does not
reflect updates to the locale data itself?

https://icu.unicode.org/

ICU v72 -> CLDR v42
ICU v71 -> CLDR v41
ICU v70 -> CLDR v40