Re: BUG #17679: REFRESH MATERIALIZED VIEW CONCURRENTLY leaves temporary files?

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: balazs(at)obiserver(dot)hu
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #17679: REFRESH MATERIALIZED VIEW CONCURRENTLY leaves temporary files?
Date: 2022-11-07 16:41:35
Lists: pgsql-bugs

PG Bug reporting form <noreply(at)postgresql(dot)org> writes:
> After we upgraded from 14 to 15, the occupied space keeps decreasing.

> The following files can be found in the subdirectory of the database: (
> /var/lib/postgresql/15/main/base/16457 )
> -rw-------. 1 postgres postgres 210903040 Nov 6 10:37 t8_4372109.1
> -rw-------. 1 postgres postgres 1073741824 Nov 6 14:43 t8_4375122.1
> -rw-------. 1 postgres postgres 1073741824 Nov 6 14:43 t8_4375122.2
> -rw-------. 1 postgres postgres 434585600 Nov 6 14:43 t8_4375122.3

Thanks for the report! Actually it's even worse: v15 will leak non-first
segments of any temporary tables, not just those made during REFRESH
MATERIALIZED VIEW CONCURRENTLY. I've pushed a fix that will appear in
15.1. In the meantime, you should manually delete any files named
according to the tNN_NNNN.N pattern that are clearly too old to belong
to any live session.