Re: Document efficient self-joins / UPDATE LIMIT techniques.

From: Laurenz Albe <laurenz(dot)albe(at)cybertec(dot)at>
To: Corey Huinker <corey(dot)huinker(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: vignesh C <vignesh21(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Document efficient self-joins / UPDATE LIMIT techniques.
Date: 2024-02-12 16:54:33
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, 2024-02-12 at 11:45 -0500, Corey Huinker wrote:

> > - I am not sure if it is necessary to have the <programlisting> at all.
> >   I'd say that it is just a trivial variation of the UPDATE example.
> >   On the other hand, a beginner might find the example useful.
> >   Not sure.
>
> I think a beginner would find it useful. The join syntax for DELETE is different from
> UPDATE in a way that has never made sense to me, and a person with only the UPDATE
> example might try just replacing UPDATE WITH DELETE and eliminating the SET clause,
> and frustration would follow. We have an opportunity to show the equivalent join in
> both cases, let's use it.

I think we can leave the decision to the committer.

> > I think the "in" before between is unnecessary and had better be removed, but
> > I'll defer to the native speaker.
>
> The "in" is more common when spoken. Removed.

The "in" is appropriate for intransitive use:
"I've been here and I've been there and I've been in between."
But: "I have been between here and there."

Do you plan to add it to the commitfest? If yes, I'd set it "ready for committer".

Yours,
Laurenz Albe