Re: Query tool results in grid

From: "Edward Di Geronimo Jr(dot)" <edigeronimo(at)xtracards(dot)com>
To: "Andreas Pflug" <pgadmin(at)pse-consulting(dot)de>
Cc: pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Query tool results in grid
Date: 2006-02-20 19:29:15
Lists: pgadmin-hackers

> We need a rewrite of ctlSqlResult, but it must base on a virtual
> wxListBox or wxListView, i.e. maintaining the data ourselves. On the
> long run, extending ctlSqlBox to use it in View Data would be desirable.

My concern isn't speed but rather functionality. It doesn't really matter
to me if wxGrid is 10x slower than wxListView if wxListView doesn't do
what I need. It would make my life a lot easier in at my job if I could
copy arbitrary subsets of the results into the clipboard. I almost never
want to copy entire rows at a time. As far as I can tell from the
documentation, you can't do that with wxListView. As far as I'm concerned,
this feature is the difference between pgAdmin being pleasant to use
verses being one of those programs you curse at all the time.

My full intentions were to improve the implementation as soon as I got the
base functionality working ok. I assumed a custom table class would be
necessary for decent performance. I also intended on sharing as much code
as possible between the result view and the view data grid.

Also, I'm not seeing the relevance of ctlSQLBox. It doesn't sound useful
at all to me for dealing with table data.

If you still think I should stop, let me know. If I'm missing something in
the documentation and there is a better way to get the functionality I
want, let me know.

Ed