Disappearing table - suggestions on possible causes appreciated.

From: Andrew Edson <cheighlund(at)yahoo(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Disappearing table - suggestions on possible causes appreciated.
Date: 2007-06-08 14:39:26
Lists: pgsql-general

The company I work for provides services for various offices around the country. In order to help keep our database straight, and allow several of our client-side programs to verify their location, we include a table called 'region' in our database. Although the database is replicated by Slony, this particular table I do not think is. Servers running the db are SuSE 9.3, running Postgresql 8.1.3, and I believe Slony 1.1.

Recently, there have been incidents across a few of the offices where the region table in their local copy of the database has mysteriously lost all of its data. When this happens, the programs that require it (most of our client-side stuff) will not retrieve data related to those areas. I've already built an sql script to restore the table quickly, I'm just curious as to why this is happening. It's not really a common event, as it's only happened maybe five times or so across a few dozen servers and about three months. The most recent incident was brought to our attention today, which is why this is on my mind now.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what could be causing this single table to lose its data? I don't think it's happened more than once to any given server, and I have no clue where to begin looking for the cause. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Bored stiff? Loosen up...