Re: infinity as a date

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Jean-Christian Imbeault <jc(at)mega-bucks(dot)co(dot)jp>
Cc: pgsql-general <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Thomas Lockhart <lockhart(at)fourpalms(dot)org>
Subject: Re: infinity as a date
Date: 2002-12-12 05:13:28
Lists: pgsql-general

Jean-Christian Imbeault <jc(at)mega-bucks(dot)co(dot)jp> writes:
> I see that Postgres has a special keyword "infinity" for use with
> timestamps. Is there an equivalent for dates?

There is not.

> I tried the following but it doesn't quite work:

> JC=# create table test(a date);
> CREATE TABLE
> JC=# insert into test values('infinity'::timestamp);
> INSERT 1030323 1
> JC=# select * from test;
> ---

> (1 row)

It appears that what actually gets stored in test.a is NULL ... which
is not surprising given the source code for timestamp_date():

if (TIMESTAMP_NOT_FINITE(timestamp))
PG_RETURN_NULL();

I think that this is an outright bug: if type DATE doesn't have a
concept of infinity then it should throw an error, not translate
infinity to NULL. NULL means "unknown", not "I cannot cope with this
value".

Comments?