Re: Dependencies for partitioned indexes are still a mess

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
Cc: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Dependencies for partitioned indexes are still a mess
Date: 2020-08-12 22:29:16
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> I've attached the diff between first.sql and second.sql. Here's the
> highlights:

As I recall, the differences in b_star etc are expected, because
pg_dump reorders that table's columns to match its inheritance parent,
which they don't to start with because of ALTER TABLE operations.

I'm pretty sure we set it up that way deliberately ages ago, because
pg_dump used to have bugs when contending with such cases. Not sure
about a good way to mechanize recognizing that these diffs are
expected.

Dunno about test_type_diff2, but it might be a newer instance of
the same thing.