why was libpq.so's version number bumped?

From: Palle Girgensohn <girgen(at)pingpong(dot)net>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: why was libpq.so's version number bumped?
Date: 2002-12-30 03:41:20
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi!

subject says it all, I guess. There is hardly no difference between 7.3
libpq and 7.3.1 libpq. Why the version shift? Isn't the only thing
rectifying a version shift that there is a change in the API. Maybe there
is a change, but I cannot find it.

One of the reasons I ask is, if it is a good reason, like say "security",
maybe I can persuade the FreeBSD port responsible guys to bring the port
into the upcoming FreeBSD 5.0 release. The port freeze was introduced just
before pg-7.3 was released, so nothing new will be admitted unless it is a
security fix, more or less, which means FreeBSD 5.0 will probably ship with
7.2.3, which would be a disappointment...

Cheers,
Palle