Re: Reducing the runtime of the core regression tests

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Peter Geoghegan <pg(at)bowt(dot)ie>
Cc: PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Reducing the runtime of the core regression tests
Date: 2019-04-10 23:19:38
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Peter Geoghegan <pg(at)bowt(dot)ie> writes:
> On Wed, Apr 10, 2019 at 3:35 PM Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
>> * Likewise, I split up indexing.sql by moving the "fastpath" test into
>> a new file index_fastpath.sql.

> I just noticed that the "fastpath" test actually fails to test the
> fastpath optimization -- the coverage we do have comes from another
> test in btree_index.sql, that I wrote back in December.

Oh! Hmm.

> I'll come up with a patch to deal with this situation, by
> consolidating the old and new tests in some way. I don't think that
> your work needs to block on that, though.

Should I leave out the part of my patch that creates index_fastpath.sql?
If we're going to end up removing that version of the test, there's no
point in churning the related lines beforehand.

One way or the other I want to get that test out of where it is,
because indexing.sql is currently the slowest test in its group.
But if you prefer to make btree_index run a bit longer rather than
inventing a new test script, that's no problem from where I stand.