Re: Proposal: Store "timestamptz" of database creation on "pg_database"

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>, Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Proposal: Store "timestamptz" of database creation on "pg_database"
Date: 2013-01-03 02:02:09
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> [ on creation timestamps ]
> I know this has been discussed and rejected before, but I find that
> rejection to be wrong-headed. I have repeatedly been asked, with
> levels of exasperation ranging from mild to homicidal, why we don't
> have this feature, and I have no good answer. If it were somehow
> difficult to record this or likely to produce a lot of overhead, that
> would be one thing. But it isn't. It's probably a hundred-line
> patch, and AFAICS the overhead would be miniscule.

If I believed that it would be a hundred-line patch, and would *stay*
a hundred-line patch, I'd be fine with it. But it won't. I will
bet a very fine dinner that the feature wouldn't get out the door
before there would be demands for pg_dump support. And arguments
about whether ALTER should or should not change the timestamp.
And I doubt you counted psql \d support in that hundred lines.
So this is just a can of worms that I'd rather not open.